Despite the traditional notion that nothing therapeutic can be accomplished for the 1.5 million Americans with autism and the 2 million more throughout the world, there are pharmacologic approaches to the disease that are providing some help for patients and garnering revenues for drug companies.
This Market Briefing reviews the market for drugs used in the treatment of autism and related disorers, including Antidepressants, Anti-Anxiety drugs, Anti-psychotics, Anti-convulsants, and CNS stimulants for ADHD-related symptoms, forecasting revenues through 2009 gloabally and in the biggest three national markets.
In addition, a variety of new approaches to the treatment of autism are moving through the development pipeline. Research in genomics, metabolomics, and systems biology are all being applied to the development of therapeutics, and there have been notable successes and notable failures in clinical development. The report reviews progress toward commercialization in this nascent field, and forecasts market potential and various market scenerios.
Table of Contents
CHAPTER ONE: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Rising Incidence
- Treatment Options and Recent Advances
- Summary Market Forecast
- Scope and Methodology
CHAPTER TWO: INTRODUCTION TO AUTISM AND RELATED DISORDERS
- Cost of Managing Autism Disorders
- Types of Autism
- Causes of Autism
- Complications of Autism
- Social Symptoms
- Communication Difficulties
- Repetitive Behaviors
- Sensory Problems
- Mental Retardation
- Fragile X Syndrome
- Tuberous Sclerosis
CHAPTER THREE: PHARMACOLOGICAL TREATMENTS
- Drugs for Behavioral Problems: Antipsychotic Agents
- Drugs for Anxiety and Depression
- Drugs for Seizures
- Drugs for Inattention and Hyperactivity
- Drugs in Clinical Trials
- Gene Therapy
- NIH Research
CHAPTER FOUR: MARKET FOR AUTISM THERAPEUTICS
CHAPTER FIVE: KEY PLAYERS AND THEIR TECHNOLOGIES
- deCODE genetics Inc.
- Protein Therapeutics Inc.
- Psychiatric Genomics Inc.
- Repligen Corp.
- Target Discovery
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Complications Associated with Autism
- Exhibit 2: World Market for Autism Therapeutics by Geographic Segment
- Exhibit 3: Summary of World Market for Autism Therapeutics 2000-2009
- Exhibit 4: Market Share of Autism and Related Condition Therapeutics by Drug Type
- Exhibit 5: Cost of Autism Treatment in the United States 2004 and 2013
- Exhibit 6: Classification of Drugs Used in Autism Disorders
- Exhibit 7: Clinical Trials of Dopamine Antagonists in Autism
- Exhibit 8: Clinical Trials for 5-HT Antagonists in Treatment of Autism
- Exhibit 9: Clinical Trials of Naltroxone
- Exhibit 10: Selected Centers Engaged in Autism Research
- Exhibit 11: Worldwide Prevalence of Autism
- Exhibit 12: Geographical Distribution of Autistic Population, 2004
- Exhibit 13: Total World Market for Autism Therapeutics 2000-2004, 2009
- Exhibit 14: World Market for Autism Psychotherapy Agents by Major Region 2004-2009
- Exhibit 15: The Market for Psychotherapy Drugs for Treating Autism by Drug Type 2004-2009
- Exhibit 16: Market Share of Psychotropic Agents in Treating Autism by Type
- Exhibit 17: Status of Selected Autism Therapeutics in Development
- Exhibit 18: Potential U.S. Market for Secretin 2004-2009