Ophthalmology is entering one of the most remarkable phases in recent history of this industry; new technologies and treatment modalities for both visual acuity and major eye diseases may dramatically change the composition and competitive dynamics of this market. As RK and LASIK changed the market a few years ago, even newer competitive technologies are just now emerging. From the advent of photodynamic therapy and new drug delivery techniques to revolutionary surgical approaches to refractive vision correction, ophthalmology is poised to see a plethora of new treatment options.
This major new report covers the US and international markets for refractive vision correction, including
- Presbyopia, and
And US and international markets for the treatment of major eye diseases, including
- age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and
- other vitreoretinal conditions such as diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, and detached retina.
In addition to comprehensive analysis of the market forces and competitive dynamics, the study provides extensively detailed market size, market growth, procedure volume and market share data for each subsegment through 2008, including details on:
- Laser systems for vision correction,
- Lens implants for vision correction,
- Diagnostic and visual acuity services,
- Cararact surgery,
- Intraocular lenses (IOLs) for cataracts,
- Ophthalmic pharmaceuticals for glaucoma,
- Diagnostics for glaucoma, and
- Treatments and diagnostics for AMD and other vitreoretinal conditions, including photodynamic therapy (PDT) and anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (anti-VEGF)
Complete market forecasts are also provided by disease or vision condition (as noted above) and by provider segment, including
- Vision Care Centers,
- Eye Clinics, and
Profiles of nearly 50 major players in the market complete the all-inclusive market assessment.