A desire to deliver better care and make healthcare workers more productive, as well as the incentives and mandates for EMR usage, has made handhelds ubiquitous in healthcare worldwide. Increasingly healthcare providers are using devices that can provide information and allow them to research, communicate and order services on a mobile basis.
This Kalorama Information report – Handhelds in Healthcare– represents Kalorama’s second edition of its review of the market for these type of devices. The report focuses on two primary segments:
Patient Monitoring Devices, including:
- Blood pressure devices
- Pulse oximeters
- ECG/EKG monitors
- Diabetes Insulin monitors
- Prothrombin Time monitors
- Fetal heart monitors
Administrative Devices, including:
- Smartphones and PDAs
- iPads and Other Tablet PCs
- Inventory/Medication Management Scanners
Handheld patient monitoring devices include a wide range of products which provide the benefits of diagnosing, consulting, monitoring and treating patients.
Handheld administrative devices include products to streamline healthcare workflow and improve efficiency—patient care. Namely these products include PDAs, tablet PCs and inventory/medication scanners.
As part of its detailed coverage of the market for handhelds in healthcare, the report includes the following important market information:
- Global Market size and Forecast of Handheld Device Segments
- Geographic breakdown (US, Europe, Japan, Rest of Asia, Rest of World) of Market Size for Patient Monitoring and Administrative Devices
- The Apple iPad and it’s Role in the Market
- The Role of EMR and Electronic Prescription
- Ten Case Studies of Health Systems Using Handhelds
- Possible Growth Inhibitors
- Cloud Technology Role
- Description of Handhelds on the Market Designed for Healthcare Applications
- Key Challenges to Healthcare Sales
- Detailed Profiles of Major Companies
- Physician and Hospital Statistics: Usage and Purchasing
- Discussion of Implementation of Handhelds and Cost and Effectiveness of Their Use
- Kalorama Small-Sample US Hospital Survey of Goals for Handheld Usage
The information for this report was gathered using both primary and secondary research including comprehensive research of secondary sources such as company literature, databases, investment reports, and medical, information technology and business journals. Telephone interviews and email correspondence were the primary method of gathering primary information. For the purpose of this study Kalorama Information conducted interviews with more than 50 key industry officials, consultants, health care providers, and government personnel.
These sources were the primary basis in gathering information specifically relating to revenue and market share data presented in this report. Specific interviews with IT company representatives included marketing directors, division managers, and product representatives.
As part of this report’s coverage, the following companies are profiled:
- Draeger Medical
- GE Healthcare
- Global Media
- Hewlett Packard
- Research In Motion
- Siemens Healthcare
- Socket Mobile
- Welch Allyn
All market data pertains to the world market at the manufacturers’ level. The base year for data was 2011. Historical data was provided for the years 2009 and 2010, with forecast data provided for 2011 through 2016. Compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) are provided. The forecasted market analysis for 2011-2016 was highly influenced by the uptake of new technologies in the health industry, government incentives and requirements, product marketing, and demographic trends.