It is commonly asserted that in vitro diagnostics is a recession-proof industry. Kalorama Information’s lead diagnostic analyst Shara Rosen tests that assumption and provides strategic conclusions in Shara Rosen’s new report In Vitro Diagnostics in a Recessionary Economy.
The economic problems that began slowing the U.S. economy keep spreading, with Europe and Japan following America into recession. The US is experiencing high unemployment rate and increased numbers of uninsured workers. But what impact is the downturn having on in vitro diagnostic companies? What are the best areas of IVD and the best world markets? How should companies price and market their products? What are key companies in the market doing at this time? Among the topics covered in this report:
- Current Market Estimates for Major Categories of IVD.
- Category Forecasts to 2014
- Hospital Woes, Uninsured Patients, Payor Stress, and Other Trends industry observers need to know about.
- Current World Economic Conditions US, Europe and Emerging Markets
- Obama Administration Healthcare Reform Boom or Bust for IVD?
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Abbot – Ibis, QIAGEN – Corbett Life Science, J&J / Amic and several other competitive moves.
- Collaborations: Luminex and BD Tripath, Geisinger Health System and Celera, Sysmex and Epigenomics and other partnerships enacted as companies pool limited resources.
- Market Expansions: StatSensor Creatinine Meter (TM), Dako and BMS partnership and Others.
- New Testing Products Launched: BD Focal Point, Aureon’s Prostate Px , New Abbott Marker for AKI and other new tests.
- Lab Service Commercialization Activities
- Lab IT Activity and the Involvement of High Tech Players such as Google and IBM.
- Success Strategies That are Working in 2009
Shara Rosen goes beyond just assessing the market and presents actions that IVD companies can take to assure growth in uncertain times. The report has a special focuses on developments in the United States since this is the largest single market for IVD products, but there is discussion of emerging world markets as well. The following companies who have engaged in relevant competitive activities in recent months were profiled in this report:
- Abbott Diagnostics
- Beckman Coulter Inc.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- bioMerieux Inc.
- Celera Corporation
- Cellestis Ltd
- Clarient Inc. (formerly ChromaVision)
- deCode Genetics Inc.
- Genomic Health
- Gen-Probe Inc.
- Immucor, Inc.
- Inverness Medical Innovations
- Luminex Corporation
- Monogram Biosciences, Inc.
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics (OCD)
- Qiagen N.V.
- Quidel Corporation
- Roche Diagnostics
- Seegene, Inc.
- Sequenom, Inc.
- Siemens Medical Solutions Diagnostics
- Sysmex Corporation
- Vermillion/Ciphergen Biosystems Inc.
This Kalorama Information report is a work of primary research. Although secondary sources were used, the analyst’s years of experience, interviews with industry experts and the latest findings of the 2009 Diagnostic Marketing Association Conference in Chicago IL were part of this report’s foundation.