As an in vitro diagnostics (IVD) market, China trails only the populous, developed economy markets of the United States, western European countries, and Japan. The country and its healthcare system are confronted by challenges shared by less developed countries, but also burdens common among developed middle-income and affluent countries such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and diseases of aging. China as an IVD market opportunity is defined by its standing next to other populous countries with demonstrated economic promise for over the past decade – Brazil, Russia and India (collectively with China referred to as the important, rapidly growing “BRIC” nations).
Scope and Methodology
This Kalorama Information report, In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) Markets in China, 2021, is designed to provide the reader with an overview of the Chinese laboratory market and its influences. The focus is on the IVD discipline including reagents, consumables, calibrators and controls of the following sub-segments:
- Clinical Chemistry: routine lab testing; substrates, enzymes, homogeneous immunoassays, proteins, ISE (non-POC), HBA1c (non-POC), includes urinalysis and blood chemistry testing.
- Immunoassays: hormones and thyroid function, tumor markers, allergy, anemia, neonatal tests, prenatal tests, interleukins, PCT, toxicology and common infectious diseases (HIV, hepatitis, influenza)
- Microbiology and Molecular Testing: manual and automated tests, culture media (to be prepared or ready to use), latex tests, transport media, blood culture, sensitivity discs, Gram and other stains, MTB culture, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, nucleic acid testing.
- Point-of-Care Testing: all POC tests for cardiology, toxicology, coagulation, diabetes, infectious diseases, including POC and non-POC blood gas and electrolytes, and glucose self-monitoring tests.
- Histology/Cytology: PAP, HE, IHC, ISH, FISH, primary and secondary antibodies.
Included in the report are trends influencing the industry and country-level data including incidence of disease, life expectancy, population demographics, economic status, healthcare utilization and other market influences.
The information in the report was gathered using both primary and secondary research methods including more than a dozen major interviews completed during the period of June 2021 and September 2021. These interviews were with government officials, medical device regulators, domestic distributors, and leading market participants in the global market. In some cases, the use of a third-party interpreter service was used to complete the interview. Secondary data included the use of government databases, company literature, medical journals and reports.
All market data pertains to the IVD market in China at the manufacturers’ level. Market data is presented for the 2021 year with forecast data provided for 2026. Compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) are provided for the 2021-2026 period.