The application and versatility of medical imaging modalities are continuing to grow in significance as the population ages and healthcare costs rise. Examinations that can facilitate earlier disease diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment are in order. This bodes well for contrast media markets.
Since our last round-up of the contrast media market, the economic environment in the world has changed. Although the recession may have caused hospitals, physician offices and other institutions to delay or cancel the purchase of imaging equipment, it has not had a significant negative impact on the use of contrast agents with the equipment already on hand. Specifically, annual growth for medical contrast media during the next five years appears to be strong, despite the recession slowing capital equipment purchases. Imaging exams are still needed for many diagnoses, and contrast enhancement facilitates diagnosis in many cases. Kalorama expects growth ranges to remain high.
This comprehensive study of the world market for contrast agents builds on the previous modality-focused reports of Kalorama’s medical imaging market reports. Coverage includes:
- World and regional revenue forecasts for contrast agents and radiopharmaceuticals by modality through 2012. (X-Ray, CT, Ultrasound, MRI, PET, SPECT)
- Market share of the major contrast agent supplers
- Procedure volumes by modality and region
- Estimates of the portion of procedures in each modality using contrast enhancement
- Contrast-enhancement products in development
The report also discusses technical developments and emerging application trends such as therapeutic monitoring, whole body screening, and guided therapeutic interventions, and how contrast agents are helping to expand imaging’s role in basic research and drug discovery/development. Specific advances in contrast agent-enabled diagnostics for mammography, Alzheimer’s, and other indications are also reviewed.
The report concludes with profiles of top suppliers and developers including:
- Acusphere Inc.
- Alseres Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Amag Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Aposense Ltd.
- Avid Radiopharmaceuticals Inc.
- Bayer Schering Pharma
- Bracco SpA
- Cell Point
- Covidien Ltd.
- Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Dendritic NanoTechnologies Inc.
- Endocyte Inc.
- Eusa Pharma
- GE Healthcare
- Guerbet Group
- Hovione FarmaCiencia SA
- Imcor Pharmaceutical Co.
- Immunomedics Inc.
- Insight Agents GmbH
- King Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Luna nanoWorks
- MDS Nordion
- NanoScan Imaging
- Palatin Technologies Inc.
- Point Biomedical Corp.
- Starpharma Holdings Ltd.
- VisEn Medical Inc.