This report is focused on two expanding pharmaceutical outsourcing markets, contract manufacturing and contract sales and marketing. Both markets represent excellent post launch outsourcing opportunities for companies competing in this fast growing pharmaceutical outsourcing sector.
The report contains vital market statistics on three main segments of pharmaceutical contract manufacturing:
- Biopharmaceutical manufacturing, including monoclonal antibodies (MAbs), complex proteins, peptides, nucleotides, DNA vaccines, and gene therapy.
- Primary pharmaceutical manufacturing, including non-sterile and sterile active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), custom chemicals, certain specialized manufacturing services such as chiral-chemistry, olignonucleotides and peptides, and high-potency APIs.
- Secondary sterile manufacturing, including production functions that are necessary to take a material in its bulk manufactured form and create a finished dosage form. [In keeping with the thesis of this report, opportunities in the manufacturing marketplace for contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs), we concentrate on manufacturing opportunities driven by biologics. Therefore, this section is focused on sterile dosage forms, such as lyophilization or sterile crystallization and the filling of sterile liquid vials and syringes.]
The main market data for the manufacturing sector include:
- Contract manufacturing market size 2001 to 2005 and forecasts 2006 to 2011 by major segment (biomanufacturing, primary manufacturing, sterile secondary manufacturing)
- Market share (2005) of leading suppliers by major segment (biomanufacturing, primary manufacturing, sterile secondary manufacturing)
- Current biomanufacturing capacity data of major players and facilities
- Percentage of companies currently using various biomanufacturing techniques (mammalian cell culture, microbial fermentation, yeast, insect cells, plant cells, etc.)
- Details of manufacturing capacity expansions by major competitors
- Geographic distribution of contract biomanufacturers
Market data for the contract sales and marketing sector include:
- Global market size of CSOs 2001 to 2005 and forecasts 2006-2011
- Market share (2005) of leading CSOs
The report also includes copious amounts of background information including
- Global pharmaceutical sales by region
- Global R&D spending estimates 2000-2010
- Key patent expirations in 2006
- NME approval trends 1994-2004
- NCE approvals in the United States 1996-2005
- Biologicals in clinical trials 2002-2006
In addition, the report contains extensive discussions of the challenges faced by pharmaceutical manufacturers and the way outsourcing can address those challenges. Current thinking in evaluating outsourcing partners and the issues of capacity vs demand, alternative manufacturing methods, and competitive service offerings are also included. The report finishes with extensive profiles of the history, offerings, and financial positions of competitors in both the contract manufacturing and contract sales and marketing spaces.
The information for this report was gathered using both primary and secondary research including comprehensive research of secondary sources such as company literature, databases, investment reports, and medical and business journals. Telephone interviews and email correspondence were the primary method of gathering information. For the purpose of this study Kalorama Information conducted interviews with key industry officials, consultants, health care providers, and government personnel. These sources were the primary basis in gathering information specifically relating to revenue and market share data presented in this report. Specific interviews with pharmaceutical company representatives included marketing directors, division managers, and product representatives.