In addition to being one of the most important tissues in the body, blood has emerged as a key vector in the transmission of the world’s deadliest infectious diseases. With the rising demand for transfusions in a variety of conditions such as anemias, trauma, and high-blood-loss surgeries, supplies have been stretched and the dangers of disease transmission have added significant cost pressures to maintaining a safe supply.
One possible solution to ease the crunch, particularly in acute amergency care settings has been the development of synthetic blood substitutes and synthetic blood products. Blood products such as recombinant hemophilia factors and serum albumins are already on the market; oxygen carriers are only a few years away.
This briefing forecasts the market for synthetic blood products, including:
- Hemoglobin based oxygen carriers (HBOCs)
- Perflurocarbon based products (PFCs)
- Recombinant factors for hemophilias, such as Factor VIII (TKT)
- Synthetic platelets, and
- Blood volume expanders, such as the albumins.
Blood demand is detailed by number of high-blood-loss procedures, acute vs chronic conditions, and geographic region, and total demand is forecasted to 2009. Market share and revenues of top products in the blood volume expander and recombinant factor markets are reported and estimated out to 2009. Oxygen transporting product revenues are forecasted to 2013, based on likely approvals and clinical acceptance trends.
In addition, product pipelines are analyzed from both technical aspects and clinical trials results, and profiles of 11 key players are provided.
Table of Contents
Chapter one: Executive Summary
- Blood Transfusion Demand and Supply
- Synthetic Blood Products
- Summary Market Forecast
- Scope and Methodology
Chapter Two: Introduction: Blood, Associated Disorders, and Blood Products
- Composition, Function and Formation
- Red Blood Cells (Erythrocytes)
- White Blood Cells (Leukocytes)
- Blood Transfusions
- Synthetic Blood Products: A Suitable Alternative
- Blood Volume Expanders
- Hemoglobin Based Oxygen Carriers
- Perflurocarbon (PFC) Based Blood Products
- Factor Products for Hemophilia A
- Synthetic Platelets
- Synthetic Blood Products Summary
Chapter Three: Novel Synthetic Blood Products in Clinical Trials
- Hemolink (Hemosol)
- Hemopure (Biopure)
- Polyheme (Northfield Laboratories)
- Oxygent (Alliance)
- Oxycyte (Synthetic Blood International)
- PHER-O2 (Sanguine)
- Albrec (Mitsubishi Pharma)
- Advate (Baxter)
- Recombinant Factors
- Synthocytes (Andaris)
- Gene Therapy
Chapter Four: Worldwide Demand and Market Analysis
- Blood Shortage Driving Demand for Alternatives
- Blood Volume Expanders
- Oxygen Carrier Market
- Recombinant Factor Market
Chapter Five: Key Players and Their Technologies
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Biopure Corp.
- BioTime Inc.
- Hemosol Corp.
- JP Laboratories Inc.
- Northfield Laboratories
- Novo Nordisk A/S
- Sanguine Corp.
- Synthetic Blood International
- Transkaryotic Therapies Inc.
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 1: Worldwide Demand for Red Blood Cells by Indication (Acute vs Chronic)
- Exhibit 2: Summary of World Demand for RBCs 2003-2009
- Exhibit 3: Number of High Blood Loss Surgical Procedures by Type
- Exhibit 4: High Blood Loss Market: HBOC and PFC Agents 2007-2013
- Exhibit 5: World Recombinant Factor Market Summary 2003-2009
- Exhibit 6: World Market for Gene Therapy in Blood Disorders 2006-2011
- Exhibit 7: Composition of Blood Plasma
- Exhibit 8: Clinical Uses for Blood Substitutes
- Exhibit 9: HBOCs Sources and Modification by Company
- Exhibit 10: Recombinant Factor Products in Clinical Trials
- Exhibit 11: Average Blood and Component Requirements by Condition
- Exhibit 12: Annual Worldwide Demand for Red Blood Cells
- Exhibit 13: Geographical Distribution of RBC Demand by Region (United States, Europe, Japan, ROW) 2003
- Exhibit 14: Projected World Demand for RBCs 2003-2009
- Exhibit 15: Number of High Blood Loss Surgical Procedures by Type (Number of Procedures, Units of RBCs per Procedure, Total Units Transfused, Market Value) 2003
- Exhibit 16: Blood Volume Expanders Market by Brand 2002-2009
- Exhibit 17: High Blood Loss Market HBOC and PFC Agent Revenues 2007-2013
- Exhibit 18: World Recombinant Factor Market by Brand 2003-2009