This timely overview of direct to consumer (DTC) pharmaceutical marketing examines the numerous issues surrounding DTC practices and markets, using industry and consumer publications as well as interviews with industry experts. The topics examined include:
- DTC marketing spending by product,
- DTC marketing spending by company
- DTC marketing spending by media channel
- The ROI debate on the cost-effectiveness of DTC marketing expenditures
- Arguments for and against DTC marketing by its proponents and critics
- DTC marketing regulations in the U.S. and selected international markets
- Physician, professional society, and managed care views on DTC marketing
- DTC’s impact on consumers
- DTC marketing campaign examples and reviews, and
- Implementation issues from the pharmaceutical company, creative agency, and marketing researcher perspectives.
The report concludes with potential scenarios for the future of DTC marketing and includes predictions by industry executives and experts who agree that, especially after the withdrawal of Vioxx and the FDA suspension of Celebrex DTC advertising, the future of DTC marketing will not be more of the same.