Kalorama Information’s Hematology and Coagulation Markets (Lab-based and Decentralized Markets) examines the current state of two growing testing markets.
Hematology is the study of peripheral blood and bone marrow cells in order to diagnose various diseases of the blood including leukemias, anemia and autoimmune diseases. The menu of hematology tests includes: CBC + 5-part differential (or 3-part differential), manual differential/review, hematocrit, hemoglobin (automated, manual), sedimentation rate, reticulocyte count, white blood cell (WBC) count, platelet count and analysis, and red blood cell count (RBC).
Kalorama’s examination of the global market for hematology testing includes analyzers/instruments and reagents: all commercial laboratory and hospital-based products, some research use products used in clinical laboratories, and OTC product sales (not test services). Market data points presented include:
- Global Hematology Testing Market by Product Segment, 2019-2024 ($ million) (Laboratory-based Hematology, Decentralized [POC] Hematology, Hematology Testing Market)
- Global Laboratory-based Hematology Test and Instrument Market, 2019 and 2024 ($ millions)
- Global Laboratory-based Hematology Test and Instrument Market, by Region, 2019 (%) (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, RoW)
- Top Tier Hematology, Company Revenues (Laboratory and POC), 2019 ($ millions)
- Decentralized Hematology Test and Instrument Market, 2019 and 2024 ($ millions)
- Global Decentralized Hematology Test and Instrument Market, by Region, 2019 (%) (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, RoW)
- Hematology Analyzer Distribution of Sales by Menu Capability, 2019 estimated (%) (5-part diff analyzer sales, 3-part diff analyzer sales, Other analyzers)
- Lab-based Hematology Sales by Analyte, 2019 estimated (%) (CBC, Hemoglobin, Other specialized)
Hemostasis (coagulation) is a complex process in which multiple enzymes and proteins regulate blood flow and clot formation. Coagulation (clot formation), fibrinolysis and platelet aggregation are a part of this process. Hemostasis testing needs vary from laboratory to laboratory, with some facilities only performing routine pre-operative testing (PT/INR and PTT), while others also conduct specialty testing (coagulation factors). In either scenario, steadily increasing patient testing volumes, coupled with growing demand to produce reliable results quickly, have required laboratories to seek hemostasis testing solutions that enhance efficiency by providing consistent results and streamline workflow.
Kalorama’s evaluation of the global market for coagulation tests (lab-based and all POC) includes d-dimer as a segment in the market. Market data points presented:
- Global Coagulation Diagnostic Markets by Segment, 2019-2024 ($ millions) (PT/INR – Lab, D-dimer – Lab, Molecular – Lab, Professional POC, Self POC)
- Global D-dimer Sales Distribution by Region, 2019 (%) (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, RoW)
- Global Coagulation Test and Instrument Market by Region, 2019 (%) (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, RoW)
- Top Coagulation (Laboratory-based and POC) Company Revenues, 2019 ($ millions)
The report contains some discussion of COVID-19 as it relates to the hematology and coagulation markets. Several global health organizations and health professionals have reported negative effects of COVID-19 in patients with hematological diseases, including rare diseases such as sickle cell disease and thalassemia. Coagulation testing, including d-dimer, is considered to be a growing indicator of the impact and clinical outcomes of patients with COVID-19. Several international organizations are leading the charge in identifying and publishing recommendations and guidances for coagulopathy management in COVID-19 patients.
Hematology and Coagulation Markets (Lab-based and Decentralized Markets) concludes with company profiles and review:
- Abbott Diagnostics
- Beckman Coulter, Inc. / Danaher
- CellaVision AB
- Diagnostica Stago, S.A.S.
- DIAGON Kft. Hungary
- HemoCue / Radiometer / Danaher
- Horiba Medical
- Medica Corporation
- Microvisk Technologies
- Mindray – Shenzhen Mindray Bio-medical Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Roche Diagnostics
- Siemens Healthineers
- Sysmex Corporation
- Werfen (Instrumentation Laboratory, Accriva Diagnostics)
- West Medica