In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, it is extremely timely to present a report on the status quo in emerging infectious diseases. While the current pandemic is troublesome and has disrupted normal life, it will follow its course and then fade away. Where could the next pandemic or epidemic come from? There are a number of diseases currently tracking as moving from the developed world to the developing world?
Kalorama has addressed emerging infectious disease since our first study nine years ago. As recently as 2018 we wrote: “The reverse side of globalism is the spread of unwanted conditions. There have been many examples of previously unknown or rare pathogens that spread and become a major problem globally. This can happen rapidly with people traveling by air throughout the world.”
Now with a global focus on testing, Kalorama’s update on all of the other diseases that could spread widely seems relevant. It’s not to say that every disease will be like the current pandemic – they can spread quickly or in a slower but steadier pattern. Vector-based tests such as Zika and malaria remain worrying and new diseases through that transmission method are troubling. And non respiratory diseases such as Ebola can still spread quickly person to person if not tested for and treated quickly.
Why is it important to examine the world of emerging infectious diseases? In a 2015 TED Talk, Microsoft creator Bill Gates warned that there was a lack of preparation for a viral epidemic. He predicted that it would be “microbes, not missiles” that would cause significant harm to humans.
Kalorama’s report discusses these trends, and provides:
- Disease Threat Ranked by Threat By Region
- Diseases That Could Emerge in a Greater Way in Developed Nations: Chagas, Zika, Dengue, Malaria, Ebola and Others.
- Markets for Widely-Tracked Emerging Diseases:Lyme, West Nile, Malaria and Others.
- Test Products on the Market
- Bio-Rad, Chembio, Altona, Abbott, Quidel, and other companies in the Market
- COVID-19 Impact on Malaria – Common Fever Symptom Masking Cases?
- COIVD-19 and Lyme – Survey on Medication Changes due to COVID-19
- COVID-19 and Chagas – Disease Begets Poor COVID-19 Outcome?
- Most Probable Threats, presenting the most known but yet still emerging diseases currently facing the healthcare systems of developing and increasingly developed nations.
- Current Diagnostic Tests for Emerging Diseases
- Companies That Produce Emerging Disease Tests
Emerging Infectious Disease Diagnostics: Markets and Trends from Kalorama Information provides an important addition to business planning to supplement infectious disease market research on known infectious diseases. As seen with the COVID-19 pandemic, business modeling based on current diseases alone would not capture the entire opportunity. Real-world estimates are of known threats, but as these estimates can only reflect current markets, the report also provides outlook assessments and analyzes the opportunity for emerging infections testing.
Companies profiled in the report include:
- altona Diagnostics
- Atomo Diagnostics
- Chembio Diagnostics, Inc.
- Coris BioConcept
- CTK Biotech, Inc.
- MBio Diagnostics, Inc.
- QIAGEN N.V.
- Quest Diagnostics
- Rheonix, Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Vela Diagnostics