Contrast agents and radiopharmaceuticals have revolutionized in vivo imaging. Technical developments in contrast media and imaging techniques is combining with the trends toward both the functional and molecular understanding of disease to create a rapidly growing marketplace in these agents.
The introduction and now brisk ongoing development of contrast media for traditional radiography, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, positron-emission tomography (PET), and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), are now allowing for the expansion of diagnostic capabilities of these modalities. Dozens of agents are being developed with the hopes of opening up new applications for existing modalities. While some agents will compete with existing agents while others aim to break new ground and provide a diagnostic assessment that is not currently available today.
This comprehensive study of the world market for contrast agents builds on the previous modality-focused reports of Kalorama’s Medical Imaging Markets series and includes:
- World and regional revenue forecasts for contrast agents and radiopharmaceuticals by modality through 2010.
- Market share of the major contrast agent supplers
- Procedure volumes by modality and region
- Estimates of the portion of procedures in each modality using contrast enhancement
- Contrast-enhancement products in development
The report also discusses technical developments and emerging application trends such as therapeutic monitoring, whole body screening, and guided therapeutic interventions, and how contrast agents are helping to expand imaging’s role in basic research and drug discovery/development. Specific advances in contrast agent-enabled diagnostics for mammography, Alzheimer’s, and other indications are also reviewed.
The report concludes with profiles of top suppliers and developers including:
- Acusphere Inc.
- Advanced Magnetics Inc.
- ART Advanced Research Technologies Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Boston Life Sciences
- Bracco SpA
- Cell Point
- Cytogen Corp.
- Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Dendritic NanoTechnologies Inc.
- Epix Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- E-Z-EM Inc.
- GE Healthcare
- Guerbet Group
- Hovione FarmaCiencia SA
- Imcor Pharmaceutical Co.
- Immunomedics Inc.
- King Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Luna nanoWorks
- Palatin Technologies Inc.
- Point Biomedical Corp.
- Schering AG