RFID offers various solutions for the main segments of the healthcare industry—hospitals and nursing homes, pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors, and pharmacies.
This Kalorama Information report, The Global Market for RFID in Healthcare , defines the market for RFID opportunities in the healthcare industry, focusing on five market segments:
- Pharmaceutical/Blood Product Distribution and Tracking
- Patient/Medical Staff Identification and Tracking
- Medical Asset Tracking and Locating
- Implantable Device RFID use
- Other areas (including medical documents and patient records)
Market estimates and forecasts are provided for each segment.
The main users of RFID technology in the healthcare sector include hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, nursing homes, and pharmacies.
In the pharmaceuticals sector, RFID has been deployed by a number of companies, primarily for supply chain management applications. In most cases, the technology has been deployed for particular applications or a part of the business.
As part of its coverage of RFID in global healthcare the report discusses the following trends:
- Healthcare Establishment Statistics
- U.S. Healthcare Employment Projections
- Aging Population
- RFID Emissions may Affect Certain Medical Devices
- Active RFID and Wi-Fi Networks in Healthcare Applications
- Hospital Inefficiency
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Global Counterfeiting
- Benefits of Improving Product Management
- Regulatory Compliance to Control Drug Counterfeiting
- Electronic Pedigree and the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- Improved Inventory Control
- Prescription Sample Control
- Health and Safety Concerns
- Smaller, Faster Chips
- Other Uses of RFID in Healthcare
- “Never Events” Reimbursement
- Signal Transmissions
- Existing Technologies
- Uniform Regulation and Standardization
- Public Privacy Concerns
This Kalorama Information market research report was constructed using both primary and secondary sources, including a search of trade and medical literature, annual reports, and interviews with executives at companies in the industry.The following companies are profiled in the report:
- Alien Technology
- Blue Vector
- International Business Machines (IBM)
- Intermec, Inc.
- PositiveID (previously VeriChip)
- Solstice Medical
- Tagsys, Inc.
- Versus Technology
- Zebra Technologies
- This Kalorama Information market research report was constructed using both primary and secondary sources, including a search of trade and medical literature, annual reports, and interviews with executives at companies in the industry.