Customer experience in the clinical diagnostics industry is increasingly a target for improving overall customer satisfaction and a potential opportunity for differentiation beyond product performance, service plans, and price. This Kalorama Information report is an essential tool to learn how the in vitro diagnostics industry is seen from the point of view of their customers.
Kalorama conducted a 2019 survey of laboratory instrument users in the United States, Canada and Europe (included in respondents are lab managers, lab directors, clinical coordinators, lab scientists, lab technicians, lab technologists, medical directors and others). This report is based on the results of that survey.
“Get the edge by learning what your customers think of your product, your brand, your marketing, your presentation and your service. See how competitors are rated by users. Compare your performance to others.”
In this report, which combines a PDF-based findings summary along with an Interactive report using Tableau, clinical diagnostics vendors are scored based on how satisfied their customers are on a wide range of touchpoints. Results are presented in aggregate (Industry Average) and at the vendor level. Additionally, this report identifies the relative importance of factors contributing to positive overall customer experiences so vendors can identify strengths to leverage and weaknesses to target (Quadrant Analysis).
Vendors Covered in This Survey
The vendors covered in this survey were selected by respondents and include the following:
- Gen Mark
- Ortho Clinical
- Beckman Coulter
- Siemens Healthineers
- Sekisui Diagnostics
- Dia Sorin
- BD BioSciences
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
Verbatims from laboratorians are also provided to give more insight into their perspectives on the attributes which make up each touchpoint.
The complete customer experience for the clinical diagnostic industry is composed of multiple touchpoints, or interactions, between customer and vendor, and each touchpoint represents a branding opportunity. The customer experience model in this report arranges key touchpoints chronologically and within the following larger categories of the purchasing life cycle: pre-purchase experience, product experience, and post-purchase experience.
There are scores of datapoints in this survey. In addition to the PDF & Power Point summary files, you will also receive a Interactive Report using Tableau Software which allows you to dive deeper into the data, viewing vendor performance on attributes, touchpoints, and their profiles, as well as allowing filtering to individual segments of interest. With a click of the button, viewers can benchmark their company performance versus others.
In addition to customer feedback, marketers will learn useful information about vendor positions among survey respondents, test volumes for hospital labs and reference laboratories, some insights into the penetration of POC and mass spectrometry in the space.
The ability to get more hands on with the data can be helpful for creation of presentations to internal audiences and focusing on either your brand’s performance or their performance of a competitor to better understand areas for improvement or opportunity.
- While the Executive Summary PDF report contains important information that allows you to understand the customer experience landscape for major clinical diagnostic vendors, how vendors are performing overall, and how vendors are performing on specific touchpoints, use of the Tableau Dashboard, attached here, will allow you to dive deeper into the data.
- The Tableau allows comparison of brands that you select across performance overall, on individual touchpoints, and individual attributes. This allows better understanding of areas for improvement within your brand, or areas where you enjoy an advantage over another brand. Charts can be exported or saved as images for sharing within your team or organization when you’ve found a view of the data that is most meaningful for your team.
- The Tableau dashboard also gives flexibility when working with the data shown here: filtering of data by region, job position, tests performed in lab, organization type, and customer age are possible across the majority of the questions within the report. Segmentation most meaningful or of interest to your organization can be applied to worksheets across the workbook.
- The Tableau can be opened, read, and used using a free program from Tableau called Tableau Reader, and does not require any additional licensing or fees to use or explore.
Section 1: Overview
- Customer Experience Model for Clinical Diagnostics
- Touchpoint Attributes
- Performance at Each Touchpoint
- Delivering a Positive Customer Experience
Section 2: Clinical Diagnostic Vendor Rankings
- Customer Experience Scores
- Product Awareness
- Product Knowledge
- Product Selection
- Product Integrity
- Service Provided
- Support Provided
- Satisfaction and Loyalty
- Relative Importance of Touchpoints – All
Section 3: Methodology and Demographics